Doctor Fate is a legacy of heroes in the realm of magic who act as agents of the Lords of Order in the battle against chaos, using the powerful Amulet of Anubis, Cloak of Destiny and Helmet of Fate. Kent Nelson was the original, given his powers by Nabu and residing in the Tower of Fate in Salem. Eric Strauss was the next chosen champion after Nelson's death, later merging into Fate as a dual entity with his partner Linda Strauss. Inza Cramer, wife of the first Fate, was later given the mantle.
In other media
- Doctor Fate (Kent Nelson) first appears in the Superman: The Animated Series episode "The Hand of Fate", voiced by George DelHoyo. After initially refusing to aid Superman against his enemy Karkull, Fate changes his mind after seeing Superman head off to battle him despite knowing he will almost certainly die and helps Superman seal Karkull. Despite sustaining injuries, Fate vows to continue being a hero. He later appears in Justice League and Justice League Unlimited.
- Kent Nelson / Doctor Fate appears in the DC Universe series Stargirl as a member of the Justice Society of America before they were attacked and killed by the Injustice Society.
- Kent Nelson / Doctor Fate appears in the Justice League Action episode "Trick or Threat", voiced by Erica Luttrell as a child. Klarion the Witch Boy turns Fate, Batman, John Constantine, and Zatanna into children so that he can lure them into the House of Mystery and steal the Helmet of Fate.
- Doctor Fate appears as a character summon in Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure.
- Doctor Fate is a playable character in the video game Lego Batman 3. In the game the helmet appeared when Killer Croc spat out some things he swallowed, Robin donned the helmet, but the only power he demonstrated was immunity to Brainiac's mind-controlling machine.
- Kent Nelson / Doctor Fate appears as a playable character in Lego DC Super-Villains.